Updated: Dec 27, 2022
There is a controversy around cleansing.
In one camp, the consensus is that the body cleanses itself . There is no need to do anything more.
In the other camp, the belief is that we must cleanse to be healthy. Toxins don't automatically leave the body.
Both are correct.
The body does cleanse itself. You don't have to do anything. But you DO have to NOT DO some things.
How do you know when you're body is ready for some help? Here are some symptoms that might mean you are ready for a cleanse:
Lack of energy
Thick, heavy mucous
Stiff, achy muscles and joints
Lack of luster of the skin, hair, & eyes
Anxiety, Stress, and Emotional turmoil.
Without the onslaught of:
Caffeine, sugar, alcohol, tobacco, chemical additives, environmental toxins and poor eating practices. The body cleanses itself and heals itself.
But that's not the reality that we live in.
We must wean from chemical substance and dial in sound eating practices. Then we wait and allow our body to clear.
Here's where I usually get push back.
"But I can't do without my coffee."
"Wine is my favorite thing."
"I can't stop smoking."
I say, "Progress not perfection. Do what you can and leave the rest. And you might surprise yourself and find it easier than you think."
How will you know your actual energy, if you continue to drink caffeine, drink alcohol or smoke?
Basic cleansing requires that you eat a variety of whole, plant-based foods and plenty of clean water. Supplements are unnecessary.
However, when I lead a group cleanse I generally recommend a few supplements. The supplements That I recommend fall into two categories; nutri-fication and detoxification.
Supplements for Nutri-fication
A body deficient in anything will have compromised function. Here are some of my go to supplements.
1. Trace minerals - You can't always count on your fruits and veggies to provide all your trace minerals. The soil they are grown in are probably depleted. Ionic trace minerals in the form of liquid drops are a favorite of mine. Add to water everyday and drink up.
2. Vitamin D- Most people are deficient of Vitamin D.
If you don't eat a lot of fatty fish, fortified dairy or hang out in the sun, you're probably deficient.
3. B12- Particularly if you're vegan or vegetarian.
4. A good whole food multi vitamin. Particularly if your diet isn't blessed with a wide range of whole, fresh foods....Grains, legumes, nuts and seeds, fruits and vegetables. If your diet is lacking, pick up a bottle.
Supplements for Detoxification
1. I love Triphala. It's a classic Ayurvedic formula that clears away toxic sludge without depletion. It's a game changer.
2. A very strong purgative is castor oil. Clients that opt for a deeper cleansing process use this. It an optional 4-day protocol that's not for everybody.
Once you take the leap and decide to do a seasonal cleanse you'll notice that one of two things will happen.
1. You'll feel fabulous right away.
2. You won't feel fabulous right away.
If you don't feel fabulous, it's simply a sign that you're either depleted or congested or both. With sound nutrition, good daily practices, rest, and time, you'll begin to feel better and better. This usually takes 1-3 days though I've witnessed folks that have been super depleted and their process takes longer.
Soon enough your elimination, digestion, energy. sleep, acuity... all improve.
With sound daily habits following the cleanse, you can expect to feel clearer, lighter and healthier. Mind, body and spirit.
To experience this process, join one of my seasonal cleanses. They happen every April and October. You can get the details here.